22 June 2011

Owls Everywhere...

One of the fun things about cruising around to different blogs is that you can start to piece together some current trends. Unfortunately for me, I usually come to trends a bit late. (hello...Capris? For the first 2 years they were being sold, I thought they were the dumbest things ever...then I fell in love.) Right now, I am seeing a lot of stuff out there with Owls. Owl fabric, owl jewelry, owl embroidery, owl patterns, etc. So here is further proof that I am not impervious to the influence of trends (albeit late).

Remember when you were a kid and got these little things where you put together the pattern and then iron it to melt the pieces together? They still have them!! Tyler and I were at Joann's the other day and found them so I let Tyler choose one. The one he chose was the one that had an owl, a mushroom, a bear, and one other thing we didn't make. The only problem? He doesn't want to melt them so we worked hard to piece all of these together...and then tore them apart. It was painful...

I also found the cutest tutorial for a stuffed owl on the Toad's Treasures blog. After making one for Tyler according to the directions, I thought it would be fun to size it down and give this as part of Tyler's Teacher Appreciation gift to his Kindergarten teacher. He turned out so cute! I love the fact that I was able to use all scraps and that it's flannel so it is infinitely snuggly.

Here's Tyler in the parking lot on the morning of his last day of Kindergarten getting ready to take this to his teacher:Why is he wearing a knit dino hat on a warm day in June, you ask? Well...that is NOT a dinosaur hat, it is in fact (according to Tyler) a "Mohawk Hat" since I won't cut him a mohawk hair style and he's inventive.

4 comments:

JHNickodemus said...

Hahaha mohawk! Love it! Also LOVE the owls. Just wait til you see the owls I got to follow the primary ones!

Maggie said...

A do it himself Mohawk. And when he's done with the style he can instantly transform!

Anonymous said...

Ummm those melty toys were like the greatest thing ever. I'm sure I melted many a plastic bead to that beautiful oak table your mama has.

Ha. He is a creative child. Good sign for the world, but bad sign for parenting him in the jr high years...

Valpal

Tanya said...

Boy do I know it ValPal...I'm always impressed with his creativity, but it does make me fearful...My mom laughs at me because she thinks it's only fair that I have a child just like me....