26 May 2011

Grandmother

What started in August 2010 as a fun little obsession has grown into a wonderful outlet for those Fat Quarter Therapy purchases. It is so satisfying during a stressful time to go into a fabric store and buy a few fat quarters worth of fabric that I'd NEVER in my life consider making a whole quilt out of, but which give me endless moments of enjoyment to look at. These never-a-whole-quilt fabrics are perfect for the Grandmother's Flower Garden quilting project because each time I see them they make me happy, it is a low level of investment, and if I buy a few at a time over the course of the project, I hope to end up with an eclectic mix of fabric.

Here is a picture from when I was playing around with placement of the existing flowers. And this (very bad) picture shows what it looks like today. I love to play with colors and textures in fabric to get the most pleasing (to me) effect. Here are a few future flowers that I'm planning.
Why the renewed inspiration to work on Grandmother's Flower Garden? Well, I went to a Crafternoon at a friend's house and Janice brought this to work on: Not only does she have a waaaaay more completed piece, her Sexie Hexies are 3/4 inch (mine are 1 inch) and she's using all 1930's reproduction fabric. I am in awe.

1 comment:

JHNickodemus said...

Wow! You're on a roll blogging! Love your hexies! I like the white. Soooo totally thought your friends crazy project was a painting. She's impressive. You're impresivr. No hexies for me! At least not yet.