19 August 2010

Sexie Hexies

I've taken up a new project...you know...because I don't already have a ton of things that I'm dabbling in. I was lucky enough to spend 2 weeks in July up at Huntington Lake at the Lakeview Cottages with Mom. While we were there, she was intermittently working on a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. Although she was not doing a lot of quilting because there were lots of other responsibilities, she did have a lot of fabric choices for future flowers. One thing I have learned about myself is that I really, really like finding colors and textures and patterns of fabrics that coordinate or complement each other(and I've been told I'm good at it). Since she wasn't sure of which fabrics she wanted to pair together for flowers, I asked if I could play around with her fabrics. (Come on, you know you also like to play with fabric!) Some of the combinations I found, she liked and she started one of the flowers from that combination while we were up there. As the flower grew, I fell more and more in love with it.


Seriously! How could you not fall in love with those TEXTURES! The colors? The complementary patterns? Oh sweet love! So, for the August week at Lakeview Cottages, I decided I would 'let' Mom teach me about making a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. I, of course, started with the same fabric combination that I fell in love with.

I gotta tell ya--these sexy little hexies are addictive!!!

In my blog following, I have noticed a Hexie trend going on that, while fun and modern, is not really my style. Althought I can appreciate it from an artistic standpoint, it doesn't reach out, grab me by the throat and say "MAKE ME!"...so for now, I will stick with the more traditional Grandmother's Flower Garden. Who knows...with my luck, I will probably decide in 5 years, just as this new trend is on its way out, that I desperately need a "modern" hexie quilt.


And just for your linking pleasure, here are some of my favorite "sexie hexie" projects:


Lovely Little Handmades


another Lovely Little Handmades (this lady is seriously crafty! and...based on her playlist, I think we could be good friends)


Live a Colorful Life (a Hexi swap! How fun!!! Just think of the possibilities)


Urban Patchwork (bright fun colors!)


Sew Take A Hike


SewMamaSew


SimplySandy (check out her blog header...beautiful Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt)

No comments: