02 November 2010

Halloween Hilarity

Tyler and I were in Joann's a few weeks ago and decided it would be a good idea to buy one of those gingerbread build your own Halloween spooky mansion thingys. So, we scheduled a day where we would have a lot of uninterrupted time when Grandma Maggie and Auntie Kiki were also available (these things are better managed with reinforcments). We got out the table, mixed the frosting, lined up the pieces and put on an Art Overshirt (orange and black frosting stains). We jumped right in!
We knew we were in trouble when the frosting started spilling all over (mostly because what I thought was tight enough on the rubber band was, in fact, NOT tight enough at all) and the house kept tipping over and falling apart. Tyler's face says it all:

That face quickly turned into this face:

I learned that I do not like these events very much at all. I don't think I fully appreciate the creative spirit and the whimsy that goes into messy unplanned projects like this. Don't get me wrong...I like creative spirit. I really like whimsy...and I'm all for not having a plan. HOWEVER, this project brought home to me just how much I do not like building gingerbread houses...
So, in an effort to alleviate the heartache (Tyler's and my own) I quickly developed a new plan. We are going to take this dumb house apart, lay each piece flat and decorate the heck out of it. This plan seemed to work well, since the grumpy faced boy turned into a very happy boy:

And all three adults were very happy as well!

Tyler took a few bites of the piece he decorated, declared that he didn't really like the cookie and went to jump on the trampoline.
Then we played a few rousing games of Chess...Tyler is very creative.

2 comments:

JHNickodemus said...

Sur la table has gingerbread house molds that make out a flat house cookie. No need to make it stand up!
Also, I think it was Safeway in Idaho made the house structures FOR us. they were allready standing and we got to decorate them. Loved that concept!

Tanya said...

That's brilliant! I could get on board with either of those plans. We passed by some Christmas gingerbread houses today and he didn't even ask to get one...hmmm...the memory must still be too fresh in his mind.